Monday, March 4, 2013

Nature inspired artwork

Continuing with the itch to decorate my house, I decided to make some nautica related drawings from the seashell specimens I have. I am the type of person who appreciates the old specimen charts/prints for old encyclopedias, especially the inked drawings. Here is my attempt to recreate them for the seashells.


Spider shell and the Virgin Murex shell

Butterflies have also been my interest since I started a mini school project about butterfly farms. I quite like the massive IKEA poster with European butterflies on it but I would have liked them better with tropical butterflies which I am more familiar with. So I decided to make my own! It took a while to finish it. I'll have to post up the WIP pics in the next post.

From top, left to right:
Junonia Orithya (Blue Pansy) male and female;
Grass Yellow, Rajah Brooke's Birdwing, Small Cabbage White;
Lime butterfly;
Painted Jezebel, Lycaenidae (a mash up of 2 different ones cause I couldn't find a good ref) and the Five-Bar Swallowtail

Here is another sketch I made over the past 2 months. If I have the time, I would love to paint this on  a large canvas and hang it up. I love birch trees!

Also included some photos of the sea urchins that I have in my house. I already have an encyclopedia-ish sketch in the works for sea urchins and other shells I have lying around. The house is going to turn into a museum... I'm sorry Hann :P

 Bought the top two, found the bottom two while beach combing

Close-up; I had to pick off the remaining spines and clean out the insides eewwww

 The store bought ones retained their colours nicely, shame the two I found have been bleached by the sun!


No comments: